Overage Driving

I was nearly late for my meeting yesterday morning because I got behind an elderly woman driver.  I’m patient with older drivers—other than muttering under my breath— because someday I’m going to be one of them.  I was muttering a lot yesterday.

Elderly drivers tend to be overly cautious.  This particular woman was driving ten miles under the speed limit of 45 mph.  I could have passed her, but I’m always worried someone might be in my blind spot.  Yes, I know my new car has blind spot detection—I get a flashing warning on my side view mirror if someone is in my blindspot—but what if it isn’t working when I decide to pass?  Besides, I was going to be taking a right turn in eight miles, so I needed to be in that right lane anyway.

It would probably have been faster if I had taken the highway, but I don’t like to merge.  Besides, people drive crazy fast on the highway. So I took the main drag with all the traffic lights.  I hit every single one of them, thanks to that old woman.

Going home after the meeting was so much quicker since I wasn’t behind an overly cautious elderly driver. My way home is a longer distance than the way I come, though, because I like to take just right turns , if possible.  The only bit of unpleasantness on my return trip was when someone beeped at me when I was stopped at a red light.  The law says you may turn right on red.  You don’t have to.

Anyway, just wanted to put my two cents in about being patient with elderly drivers.  As I said, someday I will be one of them.

This entry was posted in Just Blogging and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Overage Driving

Couldn’t change lanes, that eight-mile turn could come up any second! LOL You’re too funny. You’ll never be old.

Hahaha! I love this one Because it is so familiar. 🙂

3. I so relate to this! So glad I am not alone in this…

4. Helen C says:

Very clever! 😉 I enjoyed reading it a lot and understood every word you said! Helen, who is getting there…

5. Missy Craig says:

Can SO relate to this! How did we become this?! I have discovered on my many trips up I-75 to my farm the “new” generation of driving. I can be in the left lane (going 80 mind you) and all the sudden out of nowhere in my rearview mirror is a car kissing my bumper, without giving me time to move over for them to pass, they jerk around to pass on the RIGHT side, and then practically cut me off to get in front of me to zoom off at no less than 90mph. I need to give it up and stay in the right lane…with all the lovely trucks and other folks my age!

Haha, Missy! I haven’t always been this kind of driver. In my youth (twenties and thirties) I liked driving and would drive on highways and go to places I hadn’t been before. Now I pretty much drive in a ten-mile radius.

Takes a lot of patience… Traffic jam on 1604 begins before 7 am. crazy!

7. rokaty02 says:

I am so happy to be reading your blogs again. It is a wonderful way to start the day. You always make me laugh and smile.

8. True that! Yet I do feel my mother shouldn’t be driving and it’s very hard to give up the keys when you live in an isolated, rural area. She mostly drives local but still. That said, elderly drivers tend not to allow themselves to be distracted by phones and music as younger ones do. So maybe in the end, they’re actually safer drivers?

I’m with you, CG. People are in too much of a hurry nowadays. I think they cause older drivers to have accidents by following them too closely or tooting their horns at them if they go too slow. It flusters older people. Heck, it flusters me, and I’m not even old. Am I? Haha!