Snap Decisions

I am not good at making decisions. One reason is because I want to make everybody happy. If someone asks me where I’d like to go to dinner, I usually say, “Oh, anything’s fine with me. You pick.” Same thing with movies, which is why I seldom ever get to see a chick flick. The other reason I hate to make a decision is because I’m afraid it won’t be the right one. My husband tells me not to worry about that because we can usually fix a decision I regret. Once we lived with the most gawd-awful psychedelic shade of blue in one of our bathrooms in San Antonio because I didn’t want to admit that the color I had chosen was hideous. Hubby said never again will he let me live with a color I hate. We’ll just repaint immediately. That helps me be bolder when it comes to redecorating now.

With this aversion to making decisions, imagine my surprise when I made a snap one yesterday. My husband and I went to the Home and Garden Show at the convention center here in Virginia Beach. Have you ever been to one of those? They are such fun! Companies who sell items and services for the home, such as kitchen remodeling, patio covers, landscaping, etc., come together, and show their products and hold drawings for gift cards and goodies. The very first product we came to was a demonstration of a steam mop. I’ve been researching those lately and know they are supposed to be excellent for cleaning hardwood floors. The floors in our entire house are hardwood bamboo, upstairs and down.

imageThe demonstrator showed how the mop worked on different types of floors and how it also cleans carpets. “Carpets?” I asked. “Will it clean a wool area rug?” He told me it would be ideal for that job. Since I had just gotten an estimate of $75 to have the area rug in our living room dry cleaned, I was excited by the prospect of using this product for not only my bamboo floors, but my area rugs as well. But wait! Then the demonstrator showed how we could use this steam mop, without its handle, to also steam-clean upholstery. My husband had recently asked me to get some quotes on what it would cost to clean our two sofas and four chairs. I hadn’t gotten the quotes yet, but I know it ain’t cheap. So this product could clean my floors, my rugs, and my upholstery. Be still, my heart!

I whipped out my credit card, lifted it high in the air over the crowd and nearly screamed, “I’ll take one!” My husband was slightly shocked. “Wow!” he said. “It’s not like you to make a snap decision like that!” His comment made me nervous since he was right about it being so out of character for me, and I asked him if maybe I shouldn’t have bought it. He reassured me that he trusted my decision. But he was still shaking his head and grinning as we headed to the next booth, one that was selling a stove-top grill. The man was cooking vegetables, chicken, and boneless pork chops on it. It was fast, healthy, and the food was delicious. My husband asked many questions about it and was quite impressed. Unlike me, however, we walked away without buying it. My husband does not make snap decisions. He waited until we were about to leave before he headed back to that booth and purchased that sucker.

This entry was posted in Just Blogging and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Snap Decisions

Whether snap or slow, you both made good choices. Last time I was at the Denver Home and Garden Show I brought home a sushi maker. Took me a while to find a man who liked to make sushi for me though 🙂

2. Shofar says:

All I can say about the outcome of your story is that I’m glad your hubby saw something he liked and that you both will enjoy together. About the cleaning jobs, maybe you’ll enjoy working together, too! I so enjoy your stories, Susan!
    ~Liz

Thanks so much, Liz. We have enjoyed that grill several times this week. The crab cakes me made on it were the best we’ve ever had. As for the cleaning, I have yet to tackle that. Soon…maybe.

3. Shary Hover says:

I tend to mull things over for a long time before I buy, too, but that steam mop sounds like something I need. I’ll start shopping for one today!

4. “Did you have cognitive dissonance after you bought it?” my husband will ask. I too don’t make snap decisions and when I just go out and get it, and am pleased with the purchase, my husband loves it when I answer “No.” Sounds like there is no cd in your house. 🙂

Loved that comment, Georgette. I haven’t heard that phrase, cognitive dissonance since college when I took psychology. I’d forgotten all about that term until you mentioned it. I have less cd in my life the older I get. What about you?

5. I’m terrible at snap decisions, too, but I’m pretty sure I would’ve had to have BOTH the steam mop and the stove top grill! Maybe I’d have gotten out to the car then turned around…

6. I never do things like that… but UPS did leave a purple non-stick coated cast iron pan in my breezeway this afternoon… damn that QVC!!

7. home shows and state fairs and things like that are so much fun and filled with so much temptation! Hope you like your purchases… We always liked ours from our fairs. Great post, DAF

That’s how I bought my first VitaMix, DAF, years ago. We were at a state fair and saw it demonstrated. A friend already had one and loved it, and I was hooked. We haven’t gone to a state fair in years. Would love to go again.

• We went one year, bought a hot tub, got home and ended up putting in 36 hundred foot deck, a swimming pool, plus the hot tub… I don’t allow my husband to go to fairs anymore, they are absolutely dangerous places!! Of course we really did enjoy our pool and spa when we lived there… I love my vita mix too, actually hubby is making bread with it now. DAF

Funny story, DAF! Yes, they are dangerous places. Hey, I was thinking of making some bread in my VitaMix this afternoon, too.

What fun! And I have a feeling you will love the steam cleaner thing. Now I want to go to one of the home and garden shows too.

I have been wanting to get one, glad you did. Decision… that probably why you still can’t decide to come back to San Antonio, just kidding 🙂

10. Dianna says:

Sounds like you two found some good “stuff” at that show! Yes, please let us know how your new purchases work out for you.

As I said to Huffy Girl, Dianna, we made a delicious dinner on the grill tonight. I’m hoping my mop will perform even better. I love cleaning! I know…I am a strange person.

11. Huffygirl says:

Now you’ll have to do a follow up post on how your impulse purchases are working out. I hope you didn’t get the short end of the deal by having to do all that cleaning, while your husband is having fun grilling. Unless of course he does the cleaning and you do the grilling.

We used the grill tonight, HG, to make shrimp tacos. Very good and very healthy since no oil was even used. I think we will try out the mop this weekend. I’m actually excited about it. Strange.

LOL I found out a PERSON has to run the steam mop. How disappointing! You two are a pair. Next time, I’m going to go along just to watch you in action. They have some of those booths at Homearama, too. I’ve never been to a Home and Garden show.