My Anti-Bucket List

I do not have a bucket list. I can’t think of anything at the moment that I must do before I kick that old bucket. I always wanted to see whales out in the ocean, and I did that a few years ago, so I’m content. Besides, at my age, some of the things that were once on my bucket list are unattainable now. For example, I was an anthropology minor in college. I wanted to major in it, but my father thought I should major in something that would get me a job. So I majored in English. My engineer father didn’t see the difference. Anyway, I always wanted to go on a dig in Africa with Dr. Louis Leaky. Ain’t going to happen. I’m too old, and perhaps more importantly, Dr. Leaky has been dead for forty years.

Yesterday I was reading a blog that mentioned a writing prompt about making a reverse bucket list. In other words, make a list of the things you don’t ever want to do. That’s much easier. Several things come to mind immediately. For one, bungee jumping. The idea of jumping off a bridge with a giant elastic band tied to your ankles and dangling upside down over a raging river is not my idea of fun. I know, call me crazy.

Camping would be another thing on my anti-bucket list. I know many of you fellow bloggers would relish a camping trip to the Grand Tetons or the Appalachian Trail, putting up your tent and cooking over a campfire, but my idea of roughing it is staying in a hotel without a sleep number bed and no USA Today left outside my door. I love the Great Outdoors, but when nighttime begins to fall, I want to be back in the Great Indoors. You know, the one with an actual bathroom?

I once thought I wanted a Volkswagon Karmann Ghia, but besides the fact that they haven’t been made in nearly forty years, I’ve outgrown my desire for a little sports car. I’m a little claustrophobic, I don’t like speed, I don’t like to ride low to the ground, and getting in and out of those little cars with my old knees and hips is downright painful. I would prefer a fully loaded Buick LaCrosse ( actually, I’d prefer a Mercedes CLS63, but my son-in-law is an engineer with General Motors, so I want to appear to be a good mother-in-law).

What are some of the things you would never want to do?

This entry was posted in Just Blogging and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to My Anti-Bucket List

1. SusieS says:

I love the idea of an anti-bucket list. I must consider one. I have been bungee jumping, during the summer I was working in the Grand Tetons, expressly for the purpose of camping on my days off. I was one of the people washing the big fluffy robes for people like you, who enjoy the great indoors. Camping and the Grand Tetons are still on my fun list, while bungee jumping and washing robes don’t hold the same interest for me anymore.

Whoops! Sorry, Susie, for be a pampered little princess. LOL! I’m really not that bad. I do love hiking. I went hiking once in the White Mountains with my cousin when I was a teenager and loved it. I would enjoy hiking again, but then I want to return to my cozy three or four-star hotel for a hot shower and a fancy dinner.

I wish I’d known about the Appalachian Trail when I was young enough to enjoy hiking the entire distance. What a goal that would be, communing with nature through so many states. But now that I’m not so young, I tend to agree with you on the accommodations! Our dads were from a different era; no college for me, “Respectable women were secretaries.”

My husband read a book about the Appalachian Trailmwritten by someone who hiked the entire thing. After reading it, my husband lost all interest in ever walking even a part of it. Mthe book was hilarious, and the author said all you see is trees, trees, and more trees, too thick to see anything else. So I don’t think you missed too much, Patti.

3. Shafzy says:

As intresting as the idea of an anti-bucket sounds, I just cant think of anything that I will NEVER want to do. My mantra is try it atleast once before giving the verdict. Yes there are things I regret of doing in the past, but they all seemed like a good idea at the time.. 🙂

4. Eileen Riley says:

I never want to grab either of my children by the ankles and beg them not to leave home (well, I actually DO want to do that but I’m hoping that I don’t), I don’t want to wake up one morning and think that trousers with elasticated waists are fashionable. I never want to keep my teeth in a glass by the side of the bed. And I never want to start a sentence with ‘Well, when you get to my age’.

I’ll probably pass on any “Win a year in Antarctica” sweepstakes.

6. Pingback: Vacation Plans « notquiteold

7. Jimmy says:

My cousin had a dark purple Karmann Ghia with a white top. It was my dream car, even had my last name on the license plate.

One time I went up to his house and it was gone… he sold it. And I had to settle for a Datsun 200sx.

Boo hoo, Jimmy—sad story! I haven’t heard of too many of us who lusted after a Karmann Ghia. My roommate in college had a BRG ( British racing green) one with a tan convertible top and tan leather seats. She had just gotten it when we drove from Connecticut down to Virginia Beach one summer. She let me drive it over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. I’ll always remember that wonderful drive. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

8. Emily says:

I love the idea of a reverse bucket list and I’m with you on the bungee jumping. Yikes!

9. oldereyes says:

I’d really like to bungie jump or skydive but I don’t have the nerve. I enjoy camping but Muri says she put up with it when our kids were little but Jewish girls don’t camp. I never want to: go spelunking (too claustrophobic); attend a 50-Cent concert; hunt big (or little) game; or rollerblade (did it once and fell on my ___).

My first car out of college was an Alfa Romeo Spyder. I used to get so mad when my friends looked like a Karman Ghia but looking back, it did.

10. This was actually hard for me, I’ve been pondering all day. I would never like to eat insects, rodents or other questionable gastronomical delights. I would not like to consume any form of hot peppers or foods containing them. While many chose not to do things in the air, I would not like to “swim with the sharks.” Somehow, that flimsy little cage would not make me feel at all safe.

11. Leah says:

I really like this idea! So much better than making a list of things to do before you die (which, lets be honest, how many of us would do). I’m not sure what my anti list would be. Like the commenter above, I never want to ride in a hot air balloon, sky drive or bungie jump.

Great Idea! My short list: I never want to grow up, I never want to act old.

13. Hey, I like the idea of a reverse bucket list. My oldest daughter is always talking about her bucket list, I’m not interested in anything involving a bucket!! No camping for me either – ewww – no bungee jumping – my neck and hip could not survive! I’d much rather do the things that bring me the most pleasure and joy than knock off ‘out of my comfort zone’ items on a list. For today, I’m just relishing the sunshine here. And passed the Sunshine Award on to you too (I know you already received it, but you’re one of my favorite rays of sunshine!). Here’s my post about that: http://mamasemptynest.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/walking-on-sunshine/

I’m with you, Mama. I’m happy jousting taking a walk or sitting on the beach. I don’t need to do any exotic thing, now that Dr. leaky is dead and my deepest wish will never be realized. And thank you for the award. That is so sweet of you. I love being someone’s ray of sunshine.

14. There’s a song by the Barenaked Ladies called “Never Is Enough.” As in, “I think never is enough. Yeah, never is enough. I never wanna do that stuff.” It mentions backpacking through Europe with an flag patch sewn on the pack… and working in retail (which I did), among other things. I’d add surviving a plane crash (who wants those flashbacks and survivor’s guilt?); bungee jumping as you said; any kind of “spiritual cleansing” that relates to not eating anything that tastes good (my spirit functions better with cream cheese frosting and the occasional red meat); and living in the woods. Oh, and I’m with you on camping, too. Did it as a Girl Scout. That was enough.

15. notquiteold says:

I don’t want to eat any insects.

16. No bungy jumping. I camp, visit tropical jungles, love snakes and insects; been to plenty of cities. I don’t ever want new knees or hips. I’m going to skip “tripping” and stick with meditation. I NEVER want to be on a reality show (or watch more than one episode.)

17. Shary Hover says:

I’m with you on the bungee jumping. Any jumping actually. My mother wants to go hang gliding but I think she’ll have to do that with my husband while Dad and I watch and wave from the ground. I also agree 100% on camping. I love the daytime activities, but at night, I want a shower and a comfortable bed. Everyone who’s with me wants that, too. I’m very unpleasant when I haven’t slept well. 🙂

18. But wouldn’t it have been great to have been ready to do all this forty years ago? You’d be driving Leaky around in your fancy Karmann Ghia!

I’m with you on the camping. No thank you.

19. Huffygirl says:

Wonderful idea Susan. I never want to parachute from a plane, bungy jump, visit a remote tropical jungle, eat Mexican or Thai food, snowboard, or live in a retirement community with all those old people! And nothing to do with snakes – ever.

But I would like to see the whales, visit NYC again, and swim with the dolphins.

Since we lived in San Antonio for nearly thirty years, HG, we LOVE Mexican food. I fund many people who don’t like Mexican food have not had good Mexican food. San Antonio has some of the best. I would never jump out of a plane either, though my brother did it tons of times.

20. What a brilliant list! I love this idea but worry whether it’s a little too negative because the idea of the to-do bucket list is of course to inspire and motivate. Might you, a lot of people don’t seem to have a clue about what they dislike in life never mind what they want from it so maybe this is a useful exercise! 🙂