The Adventure Continues

This past weekend we hosted two of our dearest friends as they stopped to spend the night on their move down to Florida from Connecticut. We have known J.and A. since college. They both grew up in Connecticut and lived there all their lives. Their children were born and raised there and all but one still live there. Yet, with retirement, they decided to have an adventure. They bought a condo in Florida, within walking distance of the beach, and will put their house in Connecticut on the market this spring. They will look for a small place to buy in Connecticut once their house sells. They plan on spending all the cold months in Florida and all the warm months in Connecticut. This will be the first time they have lived in another state.

I have this image of them this weekend when we were chatting over coffee at the breakfast table before they got back on the road. They were like two kids, excited about their new life.   J was sitting on A’s lap and he had his arms around her waist. It was not unlike an image I have of them when we were young couples together.   During breakfast J mentioned that George and I had had our share of adventures. We left Connecticut to live in Philadelphia for a couple of years, and then we moved to Texas for nearly twenty-nine. Now we are living in Virginia. This would be their first time to go so far, and they would only have each other to lean on. I could tell that they would not need anyone else.  In fact, I know they are relishing the idea of just the two of them in paradise.

They have spent all their adult years caring for  children and elderly parents.   Their life has been rich with family, friends, and satisfying jobs.  Some people may ask why they are so willing to give that all up and move  far away, but my husband and I get it so well.  When you have a good marriage, like they do, sometimes you long for time with just each other, far from the responsibilities that keep your minds on things other than each other.  Sure, J and A cite economic reasons, and that certainly was the major incentive for making such a momentous, life-changing move.  That, and not wanting to suffer through another Connecticut winter!  But underneath those reasons, George and I know what the driving force was.  They want an adventure, one where they are the featured characters.  The only characters for awhile.  How romantic!

This entry was posted in Just Blogging and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Adventure Continues

What a great story, and how very romantic. 🙂

The first photo looks so very 70s (or certainly close). Their happiness carried right into the current image.

That photo was taken in 1979. When my daughter saw this post about J and A, whom she obviously knows so well, she said, “They are just so stinkin’ cute!”. I have to agree with her.

2. Thank you for sharing your friends’ story. How nice to spend time in two different places with one foot at home and another in the new adventure. Very romantic.

3. Leah says:

I LOVE the last few lines of this post: “They want an adventure, one where they are the featured characters. The only characters for awhile. How romantic!” So well said! It makes the post into a great little story.

I hope the best for them in this new phase of their lives.

5. gaycarboys says:

Love it. It’s quite the difference from Connecticut tho. Won’t they miss the Autumn colour? It’s funny, those who live in cold climates want something warmer and those like me who live in hot climates like it cooler! mind you the humidity… sends your heair frizzy in seconds.

I know what you mean, GCB. All those years we lived in San Antonio, Texas, I yearned to see snow and have some colder weather. Virginia is warmer than Connecticut, but now I miss the warm weather. My friends will probably stay in Connecticut until the leaves change,most they will still get to see the pretty fall colors.

6. What a beautiful love story turning the page into a new chapter! Everyone needs an opportunity to star in an adventure of their own creation! May it be all they wish it to be…

7. I wish them well on their new adventure! How fun, and romantic, and totally wonderful that they are trying something new on for size.

Don’t we all dream of “escaping” for a little while, Mama, leaving all our cares behind. We eventually have to come back to reality, but until then, it’s wonderful!

This is so sweet. I hope their romantic adventure is filled with laughter good times. 🙂

9. It is so romantic! Love their story and the pictures are very sweet.

10. Big Al says:

Touching article Susan. I have a lot of history in Connecticut, also. Beautiful state.

11. Shary Hover says:

That is romantic! What a great thing for them to finally be the stars of their own lives. Love the “then and now” photos of them.