YouTube, You’reWonderful!

I’ve been spending a lot of time on YouTube. It started with my desire to play the bodhran, a traditional Irish drum.  A wonderful drum teacher, Michelle Stewart, who teaches bodhran in Scotland, has 51 videos explaining and demonstrating how to play, tune, and care for a bodhran.  She even conducts an online class I might look into and take, depending on the expense.  She’s amazing, and I’ve learned so much from her already.  Thanks to her, I can do triplets!  I also have learned a couple of hornpipe patterns, a killer jig pattern, and just started learning a reel.  All because of YouTube and someone who lives across the pond.

Yesterday I spent some time watching instructional videos on YouTube for Irish dance. I’ve always wanted to learn how to do that, too, even if it’s only a few simple steps. After watching the videos, I can tell you there are no simple steps, so my dream of being an extra for Riverdance ain’t going to happen. I did, however, watch enough Irish whistle videos to have a big “Aha!” moment. I’ve been playing my whistle like I play my recorders, and whistle players do not tongue like Renaissance and Baroque recorder players do. I will have to completely change my style, but now I will sound more authentic. Thank you, YouTube.

Besides instruction, of course, there are many more wonderful things YouTube can bring us. For instance, when I heard that Van Cliburn had died, I went to YouTube to hear him play and watch old media coverage of when he won the Tchaikovsky competition in Moscow in 1958. I’ve also watched old comedy routines of Bob Newhart and Victor Borge. I might check to see if YouTube has Smothers Brothers videos, too. I bet they do.

Those of you who have been watching YouTube for a long time now must be laughing at me that I’m just now catching on. If you aren’t one of the laughing ones, then you must be like me. Go catch up.

This entry was posted in Just Blogging and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to YouTube, You’reWonderful!

Now that you’re a youtube guru, isn’t it time for you to post a video of you playing?

I thank Youtube every time I discover something 🙂

3. Dianna says:

Oh, I’m on You Tube all the time! I love that I can go back and listen to the “songs of my youth”. They really take me back to a much simpler time….

YouTube is amazing for the wealth of things you can find on it, Dianna. You can learn new things from the privacy of your home, and no one can laugh at you…unless, of course, your hubby happens to be home.

I look forward to seeing “you” on YouTube soon, Susan. The audience awaits 🙂

YouTube comes in handy for learning many things. I love the Irish dancing, too. I’m glad you’ve found a resource to help with your bodhran.

I thought I had already entered a comment but WP is playing with me again I guess. Loved this post of yours re YouTube. I wonder if it will teach me to line dance! O.K., so I will never make the RiverDance team either. LOL! 🙂

I never thought of YouTube as an educational tool but that makes sense. I have always wanted to learn Irish step dancing too, and line dancing and clogging. Sorry to hear you won’t make the RiverDance team but I can assure you that you are not alone! LOL! 🙂

Maybe we can make up an alternate Iris dance form, Dor, and put a video on YouTube. Irish dancers don’t use their arms and hands. How about if we ONLY use our arms and hands and leave our feet out of it completely?

8. I’ve lately gone on you tube also, and wonder why I don’t spend more time on there, It is filled with wonderful entertainment, isn’t it? Love the post, thanks!

9. Shary Hover says:

There really are some simple Irish dance steps, but when you do them up to tempo, they’re not so simple anymore. I have the same trouble with tap steps. I wish I could watch YouTube in slow motion!