Celebrating Our Constitution’s 225th Birthday

Yesterday was the 225th birthday of our Constitution, and what better place to celebrate it than in Philadelphia, the city where it was written and signed.  Last week we stayed in the historic district, and I walked across the street from the hotel and into Independence Hall. I was in awe of the place.  Imagine sitting in the same room as George Washington and the other delegates sat as they argued, debated, philosophized and compromised about this document that would determine the success of this new nation. It made me think about our leaders now who can’t agree on anything, and yet these men 225 years ago were able to put their differences aside (and there were many) to do what was best for our nation. Their final product was nothing short of a miracle. Now, just having the Democrats and Republicans listen to each other long enough to compromise and get something accomplished would be a miracle. We need more miracles in government.

Here are some pictures from our wonderful Philadelphia trip.

Historic district at sunrise, a few blocks from Penn’s Landing

Carpenters’ Hall where the First Continental Congress met in 1774

Independence Hall where both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were written and adopted

Room in which the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were written

Washington’s “Rising Sun” chair. James Madison reported Benjamin Franklin saying, “I have often looked at that behind the president without being able to tell whether it was rising or setting. But now I… know that it is a rising…sun.” I wonder if Franklin would still think our sun is rising? I still believe it will continue to rise, as long as we, the people, stay involved and hold our leaders accountable.

This entry was posted in Just Blogging and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Celebrating Our Constitution’s 225th Birthday

1. Wonderful post, beautiful pictures. Excellent thought, I think reviewing what was originally written would be a great reminder for the citizens of this incredible country we call home.

Walking with you through history was wonderful! And your pictures speak eloquently of our beginnings. Thanks for sharing.

Great post. Well said, Susan!

4. Lenore Diane says:

Looks like you paid a visit to the city on a gorgeous day. Here’s to miracles in the government! *sigh*

5. Such a wonderful reminder…maybe you could forward this down to the Capital, just as a refresher.

6. Glad you enjoyed my hometown. I didn’t get to see any of those things until I moved out – I was still a child, but you don’t appreciate what’s in your hometown until you leave it. Believe it or not, there used to be a law that said no building could be taller than the top of Independence Hall. That was a long time ago.

We made a mad dash to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall when we found out we were moving to Texas, SC. We didn’t want anyone chastising us for not seeing the historic sites.

I have never been there so thank you for taking me with you. Never a better time than now to reflect upon their brave vision.

8. Susan, I am loving this trip “home” through your eyes! I was just picturing Barack and Mitt sitting in the Assembly Room in Independence Hall tweeting their followers. Somehow it just doesn’t seem right…

Do you ever wonder what it would be like if there were no political parties? What if the only task was to work together for the best interests of the nation and there was no party agenda involved?