Never Fear Sharks Again

Sign at Race Point at the tip of Cape Cod

Shortly before we were to leave for our Cape Cod vacation, I got an email from one of my friends informing me that Great White sharks had been spotted at Nauset Beach. There have always been sharks present in Cape Cod waters, but never these huge Great Whites. An abundance of seals, providing a shark feast in the area, has led to these huge sharks coming into an area they are usually not seen.

Truro, the area of the Cape we would be in, was just far enough away from Nauset Beach that, though I was a little nervous, I felt we would be safe. And then a few days later, the Great Whites were sighted at the Truro beaches. I debated telling my daughter but thought it might be a good idea to keep her informed. She wasn’t too worried about her children because they wouldn’t venture far from shore, but her husband was a strong swimmer who liked to go far out for a good swim. I told her we would go to Corn Hill Beach on the bay side where sharks are usually not a problem and the big ones had not been seen.

However, on our first beach day we went to Head of the Meadow Beach on the ocean side of the Cape because all the boys wanted the big waves for body surfing. We were all vigilant, and our two little boys were actually disappointed when no shark was spotted. The next two days we went to the bayside beaches, but on our last beach day, our little guys wanted to go back to Head of the Meadow for the waves and the possibility of seeing a Great White. I was nervous because the day before, someone had been bitten by one of the sharks in Truro waters and was still in the hospital.

A couple of the lifeguards got on their paddle boards and patrolled the swimming area. Suddenly they stopped paddling and stared at the horizon. Our little guys were getting excited as they scanned the horizon, too. But what we all saw was not a Great White but a whale. We watched its waterspout spewing into the air. We stayed at the beach for a while longer, our little men still hoping that a shark would make its appearance before we had to leave.

They devised a plan for protecting the beaches from these dangerous creatures. They were going to train an army of gorillas to ride on dolphins and shoot the sharks with crossbows. They were laughing and animated as they told us about their solution to the shark problem. Aren’t little boys so cute? Here are our two:

Oh, by the way, our two little boys are well into their thirties and one is an attorney and the other is a neurogeneticist. I guess little boys never grow up. I’m just surprised they didn’t consult with

their engineer brother-in-law. I’m sure he could have come up with some other devious device to add to their plan.

This entry was posted in Just Blogging and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Never Fear Sharks Again

1. Huffygirl says:

What handsome young men.

Sharks are the one of the big differences between Cape Cod and Lake Michigan. We don’t have them. The other big difference is salt – we don’t have that either!

Thanks, HG. I think those young men are rather handsome,too. Yes, no sharks in Lake Michigan is a plus for me, but the “boys” might be unhappy! I don’t mind the salt at all. It helps you float, but I would be willing to try swimming in Lake Michigan. What’s the water temperature like?

• Huffygirl says:

By this time in the summer it could be in the high 70’s, or if there’s been a cool spell, may be low 70’s to high 60’s. Not bad when you consider it was frozen or partly frozen back in March.

The water temperature in Cape Cod was 64, even though the air temperature had been nice and high for awhile. It seldom gets any warmer than that. Here in the Bay, the temp is usually in the low 80’s, and the ocean is in the upper 70’s. Sounds like Lake Michigan is at least warmer than the Cape.

lol! There is something endearing about the way boys remain boys. At least that’s how I feel about my own two “little boys.” 🙂

3. Terrific looking lads! You must be very proud of them 🙂

You are one of the most elegant bloggers I know. Therefore, I am nominating you for the Mrs. Sparkly’s Ten Commandments Award. See details at http://countryliving4beginners.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/a-sparkly-award/ . 🙂 Dor

5. Little boys will always be little boys. 🙂

6. The “little boy” always comes out, especially when cool things like sharks are involved and the mother is right there getting more grey hair. You are surrounded by some very smart handsome men. Job well done momma!

7. notquiteold says:

I’m totally distracted by the hunkiness of those boys. Sorry. I can’t help myself.

Exciting post and I’m sure it made for interesting conversation during the week. We see dolphins all the time but I’m yet to see my first whale.

Great pictures of the “little boys”. George does realize that cloning is not yet legal, right?

Your “little” boys are cute–still with big imaginations. I didn’t remember seeing any small boys in your previous photo, so I wondered what you were up to!

This was an exciting blog post Susan! I was holding my breath and worrying right along with you about shark infested waters. I’m so glad all you saw was a whale! And your two little boys with their imaginative solutions are soooo handsome, obviously fun and funny, and brilliant.

And so disappointed, Dor! They were a hoot that day, really hoping for shark sightings, while my poor daughter-in-law was scared her man was going to be devoured by one.

11. gaycarboys says:

Sharks! Ah yes. You know they can attack in as little as 30 cms of water?:)

Yes, I know sharks have bitten people who were only up to their waists, but I figured Great Whites would be seen well before they came in that close. Hopefully…

• gaycarboys says:

My other half’s brother just sent us news that he and his mate went offshore looking for sharks to swim with, sans cage! Personally I think he is mad. I solve the problem by going nowhere near the water. And, I’m blushing as I write this but I share your other reader’s view of “the boys”. 🙂

You seriously crack me up, GCB. LOL!

12. great twist at the end!! I was seeing little guys planning and scheming… but, in the photos you can still see the youth that is ebbing right behind the surface. So glad your vacation allowed them to tap into thier youthfulness and play. It’s wonderful when we can leave our grown up responsiblities for a while and just have fun!! Of course their engineer brother in law would have had to spend a few extra hours just to make certain it was all feasibly sound. I have never known an engineer who could leave that detail planning part of their brain on vacation, it is just wired into them, bless their hearts, we really couldn’t live without them. Thanks for the post, loved it.

Having been raised by an engineer, I totally agree with you, DAF. My father could be so exasperating sometimes. Why does everything always have to be practical and make sense! LOL

13. What an exciting week for the little boys (and the handsome big boys) watching for sharks! I guess I already know what the theme song for the week was. This wimpy girl would have been far more thrilled with the whale sighting ~ such massive, yet gentle beasts. Thanks for the new installment of your family adventure. How fortunate you all were to have had this week…

14. Dianna says:

Cute post! “Little” boys’ imaginations know no bounds!

15. What vivid imaginations! This is such a carefree post of imaginations gone wild, yet you start off with just enough apprehension to make any reader concerned. Your boys are as ingenious as they are good looking. Such a bonus to see the whale! Lucky event for all of you.

When my two grown boys were telling me their gorilla army plans, I saw those two little guys I raised, just as if no time had passed, Georgette. Bittersweet. I miss being a mom to young children.