Professional Development

If you’ve noticed my posting schedule has been a little erratic of late, it’s because I’m on a business trip with my husband.  His trip, not mine, but I get to reap the benefits.  As a teacher, and even as a dean, I never had the opportunity to travel for professional development, such is the state of public school district budgets, except once, many, many years ago, when I was a presenter at a Texas Middle School Association conference in Corpus Christie.  You should have seen the small group of us from our district who went on that trip.  We were like school girls, giddy with excitement.  We got to stay in a nice hotel (even if we had to pay for all our own meals), and miss school for a few days.  We felt like such big shots.  I don’t know any other group of people who are so educated who have so little opportunity to feel like professionals.

While my husband attends his sessions, here I am sitting poolside, listening to Reggae, soaking up the Orlando sun, watching the lizards dash in and out of the dense shrubbery.  Ah, life is hard.  Florida is an amazing place.  The lushness of its vegetation and the beauty and variety of its palm trees are astounding.  In fact, the vastness of this country is a wonder in itself.  When we left Virginia Beach last Friday, we were wearing sweatshirts.  The first real cool front autumn had come in with a vengeance Thursday night, heralded by wild winds and torrents of rain, leaving a clear, but crisp, morning.  It was invigorating.  When we changed planes in Cincinnati, Ohio, the temperature there was 48 degrees, but by the time the plane landed in Florida, we stepped out of the terminal into 90 degrees of hot, humid Orlando air.

Monday night we ate in Hogsmeade, outside of Hogwarts, and played a game of Quidditch with Harry Potter.  We visited Jurassic Park and hung out with our pal, Spiderman, all in a matter of hours at Universal Studios as the entire Adventure Island area was reserved just for conference festivities.

Alas, today is our last day here; we leave bright and early in the morning.  I have loved this time away in paradise, extending my summer for just a bit before I return to the stirrings of fall in Virginia.  Excuse me while I take another dip in the pool.

This entry was posted in Just Blogging and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Professional Development

1. How wonderful! We are living parallell lives at times! My husband has a business trip there next month and I can’t wait. Hogsmeade, here we come.

• comingeast says:

Orlando in October will be fabulous, Reeling. My husband made me go on the Quidditch ride, and I had to close my eyes the whole time. Not my thing, but you may love it. How funny that you, too, are going with your husband on his business trip.

2. yen says:

Wow! I’m glad you had a great time in Florida. What a blessing to have the chance to relax and unwind.:))

3. Leah says:

Sweet! Sounds like a nice time. And a conference vacation is always great — fun without spending a lot of money!

4. Lucky you! It is nice to be in a grown up world after middle school, isn’t it? And, did you get to eat lunch in more than 21 minutes? ahhhh….sheer luxury.

• comingeast says:

LOL, Georgette! I forgot about how delightful our lunches were. At least I got one when I was a teacher. I never had time when I was a dean. I usually was in the cafeteria monitoring all those delightful middle school children.

5. Ann says:

I love Florida! It’s a whole different life from growing up in Connecticut.

6. I’m glad you got to drink of the last dregs of summer in Florida. Have a lovely trip home.

7. Huffygirl says:

Nice. They even held off on the next set of tropical storms/hurricaines just for you!

8. Everybody needs a little escape to paradise from time to time! The pool does look delightful and so…uncrowded!

• comingeast says:

Yes, it was surprising that there were so few people in the pool, LDC. I think it’s because there are no kids here, only business people, and they’re all in their meetings all day. Lucky me!

9. Glad you had such a relaxing fun trip! My in-laws just moved down to Orlando so we are taking the kids to Disney next May–can’t wait!

10. I’ve never been there, but it sounds lovely….. as you say, an extension of summer!

11. Glad you had a little fun in the sun!! I’d take any opportunity to get some ‘professional development’ poolside too! 😉

Orlando is fun, a great place for convention. I remember the convention center was huge. That’s a beautiful pool to dip in!