A Jumble of Emotions

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you might be wondering why I haven’t posted anything new in quite awhile.  We just returned from my niece’s wedding.  I had good intentions of trying to keep up posting while we were gone, but they flew out the window as all our family began to arrive.  The last thing I wanted to do was to sit in the hotel typing away while everyone was enjoying each other’s company.

We have been anticipating this event for months.  It was like a family and friends reunion with people arriving from all over the country.  The morning of the ceremony, I had the joy of having a “girly” morning at the salon with my daughter, who was one of the bridesmaids, the matron of honor and her daughter the flower girl, my sister-in-law, the mother of the bride, and of course, the bride, my beautiful niece.  We had mimosas and scones and laughed and talked all morning.  What a fabulous start to what was a fabulous day!

My niece looked like a fairy-tale princess, and the handsome groom couldn’t have been a more dashing Prince Charming.   I sat next to my sister-in-law and we squeezed hands as we watched K. walk down the aisle on the arm of my brother.  The wad of tissues I held in my hand came in quite handy.  The reception was animated with conversation, tender speeches, and dancing.  Before we knew it, it was over and we returned to the hotel.  We hung out in our room with our family to recap the weekend, no one wanting the evening to end and our time together to be over.

Sunday we met over my brother’s house for brunch before taking our three kids, daughter-in-law and granddaughter to the airport.  It was hard to say good-bye knowing it will be months before we see each other again.  Isn’t that the way it is with momentous events like this?  You are on such a high for so long, anticipating all being together and sharing in such an important time.  You can’t get enough of each other, and then, before you know it, the magic moment ends, everyone returns home, and you have a hard time being without each other again.  What took months and months of planning is over in the twinkling of an eye.  But we are left with beautiful memories.  Oh, and now I have a new nephew who is going to help me build a potting bench for my garden.  That’s a bonus.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to A Jumble of Emotions

But what a lot of lovely memories you have to keep and to share.

2. Jana says:

I’m going through the same thing this week with all of my family here from Texas. I’m getting married this Sunday and have a house FULL of people. Life is great!
    So good to read your posts and know that life is treating you well my friend. If you ever find yourself heading over to the other coast….call me and we can reconnect! JC

3. I am so glad that you had a glorious time….

4. I am glad you enjoyed special time with your family. I missed you. I was just thinking about you and wondering why there wasn’t a post in my mail box. Beautiful bride and groom.

• comingeast says:

So glad you missed me! That made me happy. LOL! I was hoping people would come back once I started posting again. We still have family here, so I won’t be able to get back into the swing of things, reading other blogs, etc., until Wednesday. I’ll have a lot to catch up with. Thanks for sticking with me, Julie.

5. I love those times too, but saying goodbye is very hard! My daughter comes home this Friday for a little over a week then back to college….and my son is starting a graduate program. I miss having us all under one roof!

• comingeast says:

You dread that day as they are growing up, and it’s there before you know it. Sigh! That’s why this past week was so wonderful. The five of us haven’t been under one roof (granted, it was a hotel roof) in a long time. Plus we had our daughter -in-law and a granddaughter there, too. Enjoy your daughter’s visit, Julia.

6. Beautiful as always. I, too, was out of town visiting and felt the same up and down emotion you describe.

• comingeast says:

I think it hits all of us. We anticipate the occasion for so long, it comes and goes in a flash, and we are left with our lives as they were before, without our friends or family. Thanks, Kelly.

7. Family celebrations are the best! What a lovely time you must have had. Your post reminded me to stop and smell the roses while I help my daughter plan her wedding for next year.

Sounds like a beautiful wedding and visit with your family.
    I find family events, visits or get togethers to be bittersweet. Exciting & fun and sad when it’s time to say good-bye
    🙂

9. Emily says:

Sounds like an incredible weekend! I know exactly what you mean, too, about the long anticipation followed by the all-too-brief moment together. Sorry you’re missing them again.

And, congratulations to your niece!

10. I was wondering where you were! How nice that you had such a precious time with your family all around. I just had my family reunion a few weeks ago (all of my brothers and my mom in the same room, first time in 11 years!) and it was over in a flash after we planned it for over a year! Just thankful we could get together and now I have lots of photos to cherish.

• comingeast says:

Isn’t it hard to go back to being without them after planning the visit for so long? I hope there is a blog forthcoming (you might have already written one, but I’ve been out of the loop) so you can tell us all about the reunion.

11. Sounds like you had such a wonderful time! And the bride and groom … royalty looks for sure. Hope we get to see a new potting bench in the future 🙂

12. mypajamadays says:

I loved our “girly time” too, mom. It’s weird to have so much down-time this morning! Can’t wait to see you in the fall. Big hugs and kisses.

• comingeast says:

We’re still partying here with Auntie and Unc, but Wednesday I’ll feel the letdown and be a little sad. Hope I can sneak in a visit before Thanksgiving. Love you tons!